Discover the Best Things to Do in Asheville, NC
There are so many things to do in Asheville, you’ll want to plan at least a couple days (a week is better) to see it all. The Asheville area has a thriving arts community, diverse outdoor adventures, a vibrant and inviting downtown, numerous historic and architectural attractions, and unique shopping options. Below are links to help you find and enjoy some of the many activities Asheville has to offer. We would be glad to help you make arrangements. Just give us a call.
From historical to hilarious, sumptuous to spooky, Asheville has a fun tour for everyone.
- Asheville Food Tours 828-273-0365
- Trolley Tours of Asheville 828-251-8687
- Great Smokey Mountains Railroad 800-872-4681
- LaZoom Tours 828-225-6932
- Asheville Ghost Tour 828-318-8579
- Asheville Urban Trail
- Asheville Brews Cruise 828-545-5181
- Sierra Nevada Brewery Tour Tour the new Mills River Brewery to trace their history as a pioneer in craft beers. 90 min. Tours fill fast. You must book online. 828-708-6176
- Velo Girl Rides – A bicycle tour company based in Black Mountain that offers one day and multi-day guided tours, 540-320-2849
- More Tours
Asheville and the Biltmore Village area offer a wide selection of retailers from high-end antiques in the Grove Arcade to funky wear on Lexington. Retail stores in downtown Asheville reflect the independent nature of the city – you will find few chain stores downtown.
Horseback Riding and Ballooning
Horses and balloons are another way to explore the beauty of the area
Asheville Hot Air Balloons
One of the most incredible things to do in Asheville.
Pisgah Forest Riding Stables
In the heart of the Pisgah Forest, near Brevard.
Sandy Bottom Trail Rides
24 miles north of Asheville toward Hot Springs.
Hiking and Biking
The Asheville area is a mecca for hiking and biking with trails to suit any level. We’ve been exploring these trails for 25+ years and enjoy helping you find the best sites. We love to join our guests on rides whenever we can.
Parks and Forest
The Asheville area has an amazingly vast selection of public lands to explore whether you are hiking, biking, horseback riding or just driving around
- NC Arboretum – The entrance is just ½ mile from our drive. World class Bonsai exhibits to Segway tours. 828-665-2492
- Bent Creek Recreation Area Trail Map – downloadable pdf
- Blue Ridge Parkway – We are just a few yards off the Parkway at milepost 393, the Premier Scenic Roadway.
- Craggy Gardens – One of the most dramatic spots on the Parkway
- DuPont State Forest – One of our favorite places for biking, hiking, and waterfalls.
- WNC Nature Center – a living museum of plants and animals native to the Appalachian region here in Asheville, 828-298-5600
- Mt. Mitchell State Park – highest peak in the east,
- Chimney Rock State Park – spectacular 75-mile views, hiking trails for all ages, a 404-foot waterfall,
Trail Information Sites
- Climbmax – climbing wall, hiking and climbing guides, 828-252-9996
- Velo Girl Rides – a bicycle tour company based in Black Mountain that offers one-day and multiday guided tours, 540-320-2849
- Liberty Bikes – Asheville’s largest Bike Shop, 828-274-2453
- Carolina Fatz Cycling Center – Nearest Bike Shop to us and Bent Creek Recreation Area, 828-665-7744
- Motion Makers – Another bike shop close to Bent Creek, 828-633-2227
- Sycamore Cycles – Adjacent to Pisgah forest, has bike rentals, 828-877-5790
From whitewater rafting on the French Broad River to fly fishing for native brook trout on a mountains stream, the Asheville area offers lots of fun on the water.
- Davidson River Outfitters on the Davidson River in Brevard, have private trout waters for trophy size fish. 828-877-4181, 888-861-0111
- Curtis Wright Outfitters great folks, 828-274-3471
- Brown Trout Flyfishing an Orvis endorsed guide service in Biltmore Park 803-431-9437
- Hunter Banks on Montford Ave in Asheville 800-227-6732
- Asheville Fly Fishing Co A guide owned and operated service. 828-779-9008
Rafting, Canoeing Trips & Rentals
- Blue Heron Whitewater The closest outfitter for whitewater rafting on the French Broad River. 888-426-7238
- Asheville Outdoor Center quietwater river trips float past the Biltmore Estate, and more. 800-849-1970
- Nantahala Outdoor Center One of the originators of whitewater rafting has trips on the French Broad and many others. 800-849-1970
- Wildwater Rafting Ltd 866-319-8870
- Mtn. Adventure Guides/USA Raft rafting, caving, & climbing 866-872-7238
- French Broad Rafting Expedition 880-570-7238
A trip to a spa or a massage is an ideal treat for your loved one or to recover from those outdoor activities.
•Shoji Retreat – Japanese style outdoor hot tub and massage spa adjacent to the Parkway, 828-299-0999
•The Grove Park Inn Spa – a truly world class spa, 800-438-5800
•Hands on Health – Massage therapy center, 828-506-2899
•Sensibilities – Day Spa 828-687-8760
Historical Sites & Attractions
Festivals, Events & Visitor’s Info
From our Area Visitor’s Centers
Things to do in Asheville don’t stop there! Festivals in the Asheville area include celebrations for Flowers, Music, Magic, Trails, Rivers, Hats, Pots, BBQ, Beer, Dance, Running, Ramps, Waterfalls, Crafts and many more. They have become too numerous for us to keep track but you can check them all out along with many other area activities at:
Beautiful, cozy, and convenient!
This was our second stay at the wonderful Bent Creek Lodge. The quiet wooded setting is both lovely and convenient (near Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville events and restaurants, hiking) and the rooms very comfortable (and several also feature outdoor balcony overlooking garden and forest). The staff people are very warm and friendly, and happy to share information on things to see and do. The breakfasts are delicious and substantial. We highly recommend this very special place!