Enjoy fun on the water! Kayaking, canoeing and fishing awaits!
From whitewater rafting on the French Broad River, to fly fishing for native brook trout on a mountains stream, the Asheville area offers lots of fun on the water. Asheville is your gateway to relaxation AND excitement on some of the area’s best rivers and lakes. Get out there and play in the water!
- Davidson River Outfitters on the Davidson River in Brevard, have private trout waters for trophy size fish. 828-877-4181, 888-861-0111
- Curtis Wright Outfitters great folks, 828-274-3471
- Brown Trout Flyfishing an Orvis endorsed guide service in Biltmore Park 803-431-9437
- Hunter Banks on Montford Ave in Asheville 800-227-6732
- Asheville Fly Fishing Co A guide owned and operated service. 828-779-9008
Rafting, Canoeing Trips & Rentals
- Blue Heron Whitewater The closest outfitter for whitewater rafting on the French Broad River. 888-426-7238
- Asheville Outdoor Center quietwater river trips float past the Biltmore Estate, and more. 800-849-1970
- Nantahala Outdoor Center One of the originators of whitewater rafting has trips on the French Broad and many others. 800-849-1970
- Wildwater Rafting Ltd 866-319-8870
- Mtn. Adventure Guides/USA Raft rafting, caving, & climbing 866-872-7238
- French Broad Rafting Expedition 880-570-7238
Asheville’s French Broad River
The French Broad River flows right through Asheville and helped shape the Appalachian Mountains. Geologists say it’s the 3rd oldest river in the world.
Today the river is a wonderful playground for visitors of all ages. Float in a tube (Zen Tubing), kayak, bellyak, canoe, try a stand up paddleboard (SUP), or wade along the shores. Floating the 7-mile stretch from Hominy Creek to Pearson Bridge is a popular self-guided float trip. The trip begins at the French Broad River Park and carves through the River Arts District. Go ashore to watch the artists and grab a craft beer at the Wedge Brewing Company. Even though you’re in the middle of the city, you still feel like you are in the country.
The Asheville Outdoor Center on Amboy Road offers rentals and instruction of all kinds including standup paddle-boarding lessons and rentals. They also offer a 7-mile float trip that meanders through Biltmore.
Wai Mauna SUP Tours offers a six-person SUP raft called a “party barge” allows you to have a group experience without renting multiple boards. Take a guided or self-guided tour! They also provide sunrise SUP tours, in addition to daytime tours.
Discover and explore gorgeous lakes near Asheville. Soak in the views year round, and enjoy many activities on the water throughout the summer.
Lake Lure was the movie location for Dirty Dancing as well as other films. Surrounded by the cliffs of the Hickory Nut Gorge, the lake features a sandy beach, lakeside greenway and boat tours. See views of the lake from the top of Chimney Rock nearby. 26 miles southeast of Asheville. Learn more.
Lake Junaluska (pictured), is a small lake that’s really big on natural beauty! A highlight is the 2.6-mile trail around the lake. Located near Maggie Valley and Waynesville, the retreat center there welcomes visitors to see the gardens, take a boat tour, hike their trails or play a round of golf. Located 28 miles west of Asheville. Read more.